Thursday, February 4, 2010

4 years and 4-ever

Four years ago Nathan and I were married in the Idaho Falls Temple on a cold winter morning. The weather was pretty much like it is today, overcast and cold, with a dusting of snow. I remember freezing during the outside pictures, but we were so happy that the weather made it safe for most of our family to join us.The reception was perfect. The cake was made (for free, yee-awww!) by my talented sister.Very talented sister!

My theme was sort of Renaissance/fairy tale. (Notice, it was MY theme. Guys don't have themes, they just show up.)
My dress had boning in it, and we added flowing sleeves. My bridesmaids made their dresses (sorry girls, I know it was a lot of work)and they turned out really nice. (My hope was that they would be able to wear the dresses again sometime as a costume.)Nathan in his tux was oh-so-handsome (and hot, and . . . oh, nevermind, I'll tell him.)
My bouquet was made of red tulips (tulips are my favorite flower) and red roses.The reception was full of fun. We only had the Dreaded Line for 30 minutes, and we had fun with it. My Aunt Jessie showed up in the Cinderella a la Rogers & Hammerstein hat (think, Druzella) I had made for her as a joke, and stayed completely serious as she curtsied deeply to Nathan. I think that was his first time meeting her! (Meanwhile, my cousin Molly back home in California was busy changing her name and pretending she didn't know her mother.) We had a live band, thanks to my sister's musician connections, and we had a lot of dancing. The groomsmen had fun during their pictures, and I made a really funny face when the photographer wanted me to sit on my brother-in-law's knee--I was so embarrassed, I hardly knew him! (click on the collage to enlarge, it's really great.)The eligible ladies did their best to rip apart the bouquet. When it came time to toss the garter, the only two unmarried men escaped, leaving Nathan standing there with the frilly thing. Finally, his brother brought their little baby boy Dominic over to catch it. (Just an interesting note, all but one of the fighting ladies are married now, while neither of those reluctant bachelors are!)
It was a wonderful, busy day. We changed into travel clothes, and I left wearing a white fur hat and cape from my Grammy. We drove to the hotel and then tried to find some food, ending up at a pub. We'll be going there tomorrow night for dinner, just like we have every year on our anniversary!

I wish I had started blogging before we got married, but at least I can finally record all this information somewhere. Since Valentine's Day is so close to our anniversary (AND my birthday, poor Nathan!) I'm going to use the next few days leading up to V-day to reflect on how we met and all those sweet happily-ever-after details.

5 comments:

Jackson Family said...

happy anniversary to a beautiful happy couple, just as beautiful today as on your wedding day. I'm still so sad I wasn't able to make it, because of sickness. I was there in spirit though! You look gorgeous Sandi, I still adore your dress.

Keri said...

I love how much of your personality was in your wedding affairs. You looked beautiful, too! Here's to many more happy years for the two of you.

Koreena said...

Such fun pictures!! I love your theme. Who doesn't want a fairy tale wedding??

You two are awesome! I wish you many more happy years together!

Jessica said...

You look gorgeous in your pictures!! Your siblings look more like I remembered then recent pictures I've seen somehow. Somehow lately all my January friend birthdays that I haven't thought about in years have been recalled- soon as I saw your cake I went oh yah she's on the 16th and as soon as I saw Michael at his grandpa's funeral I went oh yah yours is on the 30th. Weird huh? Anyway happy anniversary! Nice to see pictures since we weren't in touch then.

Rachel Holloway said...

Congrats on your anniversary! It's so fun to look back and remember all those memories...
I love the story of your pub eating every year. Something you clearly will never forget that makes up such a big part of your wedding day! :)

You guys are too cute!~